China's one-child-per-family policy was put in place during the late 1970's, around the same time that its population was reaching 1 billion. Ever since then it's population has grown to around 1.4 billion, where its been resting for quite some time.
So what's it like to live with 1.4 billion other people? these 20 photos say it all.
1. Students wait at the entrance of a building to take a three-day entrance exam for postgraduate studies. More than 1.8 million people applied to take this exam.
2. More than 1,700 students take an exam in Yichuan, Shaanxi province. The exam had to be moved outside due to the large number of students.
3. Students hang their washing outside at a university in Wuhan, Hubei province.
4. Parents sleeping on mats inside a university campus gym in Wuh.
5. A woman collecting her bicycle from a subway station in Beijing.
6. People using the stairs and escalators to get to the subway during rush hour.
7. People wait to get into the Zhengzhou Railway Station during the first day of a public holiday known as 'the Golden Week.'
8. Taxi drivers line up and wait for customers at the Beijing Capital International Airport.
9. Over 50,000 junior college students line up outside a job fair in Zhengzhou, Henan province.
10. People in search of employment visit booths at a job fair in Chongqing.
11. 1,000 paramilitary policemen taking part in an exercise in Nanjing, Jiangsu province.
12. A morning market in Beijing.
13. Large crowds walking underneath trees decorated to celebrate the Chinese New Year in Beijing.
14. People visit a crowded beach during summer in Dalian, Liaoning province.
15. A crowded pool at the Daying County leisure park.
16. People participate in the annual water-splashing festival to mark the New Year of the Dai minority.
17. Worshippers waiting at the entrance of Guiyuan Buddhist Temple in Wuhan.
18. Visitors line up to see the soaring tide near the bank of Qiantang River in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province.
19. Shoppers at Shanghai's bustling Nanjing Road.
20. Rush hour on the main Beijing avenue.