If you were asked to name a place of architectural significance or interest it's highly unlikely that any of these 17 metro stations would spring to mind, but after seeing just how amazing they can be that will quickly change. They may be a means of travelling on a day to day basis for commuters, but take a step back for a minute to appreciate just how beautiful they are and you'll be left in awe.
1. Inside the Formosa Boulevard Station of Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
2. The Toledo station in Naples, Italy, is illuminated with hundreds of light panels.
3. New York City’s Grand Central Terminal.
4. The Komsomolskaya station in Moscow, Russia, designed by Dmitry Chechulin.
5. The Arts Et Métiers Station in Paris, France.
6. The Khalid Bin Al Waleed Station, Dubai, features giant glowing domes designed to look like jellyfish.
7. The Wesfriedhof Station in Munich, Germany, designed by Ingo Mauer.
8. The Atocha Train Station in Madrid, Spain.
9. More than 90 of the subway stations in Stockholm have been decorated. The Stadion station in Stockholm, decorated by artists Enno Hallek and Ake Pallarp.
10. Kungsträdgården metro station, Stockholm, Sweden.
11. T-Centralen station, Stockholm, Sweden.
12. The Avtovo metro station in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
13. The Park Pobedy Station in Moscow, Russia.
14. The Zoloti Vorota in Kiev, Ukraine.
15. The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel in Shanghai, China.
16. The entrance to the Palais Royal at the Musee du Louvre in Paris, France.
17. The Mayakovskaya metro station in Moscow, Russia.