As with each passing year National Geographic continues to display one of the most diverse and impressive arrays of photography in the world and now that the votes are in for the National Geographic 2017 Travel Photographer of the Year contest, the same can be said for its winners.
Whether it's a breathtaking shot from above or a more intimate moment of solitude focusing on an individual the final winners are impressive to say the least - narrowed down by the judges from more than 15,000 entries.
The three categories in which prizes were up for grabs in this years competition were nature, people and cities with a shot from Mexico's Tapiro Velasco winning overall prize for a photo showing a volcano erupting as a dramatic lightning storm forms above. First, second and third for each category received $2,500, $750 and $500 for their entries whilst Velasco also one a 10-day-trip for two to the Galápagos Archipelago.
1. People's Choice, People - Sand Porter by Md Tanveer Hassan Rohan, Munshiganj, Dhaka, Bangladesh
2. Honourable Mention, People - Blessings At Besakih by Michael Dean Morgan, Bali
3. Honourable Mention, Cities - Colourful Apartment by Tetsuya Hashimoto, Kitagata, Gifu, Japan
4. Honourable Mention, People: Bridging Generation by Jobit George, New Delhi, Nct, India
5. Third Place, Nature - Crocodiles At Rio Tarcoles by Tarun Sinha, Costa Rica
6. Second Place, Cities - Walled City #08 by Andy Yeung, Hong Kong
7. Honorable Mention, Cities - Al Ain, Al BuraymĪ, Muhafazat Al Buraymi, Oman
8. First Place, Cities - Levels Of Reading by Norbert Fritz, Stuttgart, Germany
9. Honourable Mention, Nature - In Your Face by Shane Gross, Cuba
10. Honourable Mention, People - The Man's Stare by Moin Ahmed, Gazipur, Bangladesh
11. Second Place, People - Interesting Moment by Julius Y., Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
12. First Place, People: Workship by F. Dilek Uyar, Konya, Turkey
13. Third Place, Cities - Henningsvær Football Field by Misha De-Stroyev, Henningsvær, Nordland, Norway
14. People's Choice, Nature - Buff Tailed Coronet by Hymakar Valluri, Ecuador
15. Second Place, Nature - To Live by Hiromi Kano, Oinukake, Miyagi, Japan
16. Honourable Mention, Nature - Mt. Bromo by Reynold Dewantara, East Java, Indonesia
17. Honourable Mention, Nature - Marble Caves by Clane Gessel, Torres Del Paine, Magallanes, Chile
18. People's Choice, Cities - Colorful Market by Kajan Madrasmail, Bangkok, Thailand
19. Third Place Winner, People - Under The Wave by Rodney Bursiel, Tavarua, Fiji
20. Honourable Mention, Nature - Forest Of The Fairy by Y. Takafuji, Tamba, Japan
21. Grand Prize Winner - The Power Of Nature by Sergio Tapiro Velasco, Rancho De Aguirre, Colima, Mexico