Under normal circumstances if you want a portrait of yourself from a professional artist you would have to pay, however this fascinating on-going series from illustrator and art director Terence Eduarte is far from normal. As part of a series titled 100 Days of Secrets the artist draws people portraits in exchange for their secrets and the confessions he's got so far are from the hard hitting and deep to the slightly more laughable.
The result of these confessions placed along side Eduarte's colourful illustrative style with his subjects facing away from us often creates a rather somber mood, particularly when his subjects have opened up about some of their deepest fears or confessions about their emotions and where they're at in life - “Half of my friends are people I wish I never met,” one person admitted.
1. “I like playing with other people's feelings because I'm unsure about mine.”
2. “I always check if my friends are doing well, but people rarely ask how I am.”
3. “I wear heels and dress to the nines whenever my head is in a dark space.”
4. “Half of my friends are people I wish I never met.”
5. “My daughter doesn't know that her lost cat is home. He is buried in our backyard”
6. “I created an imaginary friend as a coping mechanism for my depression. Now I want to make her disappear but she keeps coming back.”
7. “I don't like the taste of coffee. I can't even stand hot coffee. But sometimes I buy it anyway just so I can take a picture of it.”
8. “I secretly get aroused whenever I see supercars.”
9. “I have a crippling fear of abandonment. I use machismo to hide it because I feel like it makes me weak.”
10. “I wish I could be like my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend. She's very beautiful and confident. Unlike me, jealous and insecure.”
11. “I dated my professor back in college. I was 23, she was 37.”
12. “My parents think I quit smoking.”
13. “I love dogs, but sometimes I worry I'll end up an old dog lady.”
14. “I secretly hide behind my humor. I can be seething in anger and tell jokes five minutes later.”
15. “I catfish guys on random dating sites. I enjoy pretending to be someone who I'm not.”
Illustrations posted with permission from Terence Eduarte.